Thursday, July 29, 2021

Silent Write, Holy Write

Author’s selfie, Napa CA

 Silent Write, 

Holy Write

by Jamie Jobb

Today I got the following note from the local branch of The Dramatist Guild (DG) – which I think should know better – but we understand how Lockdown can lock down anyone’s brain. Quoting directly from the email blast to local playwrights:

This August, join your DG compatriots in writing together on Zoom!  Set and keep a commitment to your writing with the encouragement of others. This an opportunity for dramatists to meet online once a week, Tuesday evenings, in August to work on individual projects. Participants log onto Zoom, turn cameras on and mute sound. 

There is a quick welcome and closing by the organizer and 90 minutes of uninterrupted writing time. Participation is free and open to all. Register for one, or as many as you would like to attend.”

* * *

Where to begin with this awkward invitation for writerly “commitment?

How can I “encourage” other writers if I have no way to communicate directly with them – but can only observe a gaggle of them “writing” on their Zoom screens? 

It makes no sense.

If I’m actually “writing”, how do I attend to what any of them are writing?

Or vice versa – in all directions. 

Nobody can communicate effectively on Mute.

That’s not collaboration, either.

Indeed, what the heck are procrastinating playwrights doing assembled together “here” when we can accomplish more at home, alone?

I can get ninety minutes of uninterrupted writing time on my own -- without having to divide my attention toward something that makes no sense whatsoever for me to observe. 

What am I to learn here? How to be self-diverted?

Writers have enough trouble with that one.

This entire effort seems aimed at undisciplined wannabe “writers” who can’t self-start. 

Which makes seasoned writers wonder why Zoom playwrights don’t just form some Zoom softball team as well – so they may “work out” on line “after work”. 

1 comment:

  1. https://youtu.be/eprkLhdqh4U
    (nine minutes)
    and
    https://youtu.be/b-VCzLiyFxc
    (under eight minutes)

    ReplyDelete